KI YERA is the new alter ego of the Ukrainian house singer and DJ Lia Gold, she is going to release a Techno track called "I Can Give You A Shot" next August, 12th on Barbecue Records, here is the exclusive interview Machine Mechanics had recently with her.
- DJ since 2007, Producer since 2015, tell us more about your DJ career and how you started producing music?
My DJ career started after winning DJ Battle in Kiev in 2007. Then I was invited to Festival and DJ Competition in Greece. Taking another prize in Greece I got an invitation to play a special set in the world famous Bora Bora club in Ibiza. At that time, I played house mainly and in addition to regular gigs in Ukraine and Kazantip Fest I had an active touring in Germany, Belgium, Spain, Greece and other places in Europe and Asia gradually enhancing my sets with techno colours. Played on Amsterdam Dance Event last year it was nice experience. In the meantime I was inspired by different shades of old school Techno and Acid house heroes attending grand electronic festivals. So a great passion and interest arise to a new electronic style with deeper and techier side and I decided to create a new project producing my own tunes since 2015 and using my own original vocals. Recently I have released my tracks on European and American labels like Stab, Spliced Vinyl, CTS, Trashz, LW, Jack-It, Family Piknik Music. It is a big pleasure for me to release my brand new track on Australian Barbecue Records.
- How would you define your sound behind the decks and how is it in the studio?
Usually, I play music similar to that of my studio. I love underground parties but also I love to use my own vocals so it is a vocal spiced underground cocktail.
- You recently signed on Barbecue Records a track called "I Can Give You A Shot", what inspired you to create it?
I was inspired by big floor techno groove and acid like noises as well as by my meditation practice. In ‘I Can Give You A Shot’ you can hear the dialogue between me and my friend where we are telling a small story.
- How did the collaboration with NRG come about?
We met in Amsterdam at ADE 2019. NRG liked my tunes and suggested to make a remix on ‘I Can Give You A Shot’ and I said “yes” because he is not only a good and very positive person but also a well-known Dutch DJ, producer and studio owner collaborated with Tiesto, Mauro Picotto, Fedde Le Grand, Marco V, author of famous Clubsystem tune released under his Noisefloor moniker in 2000, back at the time I think it was played almost in every club in the world.
- You'll be playing on the BBQ Radio Show next month (August 10th, Physical Radio), presented by EDDISON and Faustine Pinto. They’ve received many legends like Carl Cox, Ellen Allien, Monika Kruse, Jay Lumen, Guy J or Perc just to name a few of the Techno artists, are you excited to join such talented names and what can people expect to hear in your set?
Yes, sure, really cool company! I’m so excited about this. I will prepare a very special set for the BBQ Radio Show. I’ll play out my new unreleased tunes alongside with the very special selection of groovy vibes. My mix now is a modern selection of techno, tech house with old school touch.
- Any special project coming?
Now I have many interesting studio projects. I’m working on a new tune and continue to investigate different vocal techniques. Stay tuned